Two Weeks Before Closing Date
- Make sure Homeowners Insurance is in place and will take effect on the date of the closing.
- Go to USPS.com/move to change your address online or get a change of address package from the post office.
- Begin notifying family, friends, debtors, etc. of address change
- Request information from the homeowner (receipts for appliances, warranty information, owner’s manuals, repair, and contractor contact information and dates of service)
One Week Before Closing
- Call your utility companies to schedule the turn on date in your name (Gas, Electric, Oil, Water, Cable, Sanitation, if necessary, etc.)
- Schedule the final walk through.
- Make sure any repairs needed as per your contract are completed. Receive proof of receipt at either walk through or closing.
At The Walk – Through
- All requested repairs are complete
- No new repair or maintenance issues have come up since the inspection
- All the agreed-upon fixtures and furniture, detailed in the contract, are still in place in the home
- All systems and appliances that the seller indicated to be functioning correctly at the time of the offer are still functioning properly
Prior To The Closing:
- Gather valid ID (photo ID) available at your closing: Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, or Green Card
Funds are required to close, be prepared to bring the monies in the form of a cashier/bank check or wire transfer. Contact your attorney to find out who to make the cashier/bank check out to and for what amount. Also, bring your personal checkbook just in case.
- Proof of Homeowner’s Insurance
- Confirm closing address and time.
At The Closing:
- Bring a photo ID for each person on the mortgage.
- Bring your certified funds.
- Bring any additional required documentation.
- Bring proof of homeowners insurance.
- It is customary to tip the title closer, please bring either cash or check. Speak with your attorney to determine the amount.
- Make sure to get the contact information for all service people on the home.
- Get current homeowners current contact information.
- Get the keys and garage door openers.